Turmeric needs no introduction. It is an important part of Indian cooking and an essential part of my spice box. Not a day goes by in my kitchen where I have not touched this magic ingredient. The health benefits it carries in numerous. While I use turmeric powder in my day-to-day cooking, raw turmeric roots are also a part of my kitchen, especially in winter.
Read 10 health benefits of turmeric in this useful article here.
I have earlier shared the recipe of turmeric latte, which is an excellent winter warmer. Raw turmeric pickle is yet another simple and healthy dish that can be made in minutes and stored in the refrigerator. Just take a piece or two of it and mix it with some hot rice. Healthy, healing food.
Recipe adapted from here.
Raw turmeric – 100 grams
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp or to taste
- Wash and peel the turmeric. Pat dry using a kitchen towel
- Cut into thin slices
- Heat oil in pan and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add fennel seeds
- Add sliced turmeric root and salt. Mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add red chilli powder and mix. Simmer for 7-8 minutes
- Cool completely and store refrigerated in a clean air-tight container.