Eggplant fry of begun bhaja is a very simple side dish, ready in less than 15 minutes. Crispy on the outside and soft melt in the mouth inside – perfect with both rice and roti (include a slice of raw onion and a green chilli for the rustic touch). Be sure to eat this while still hot from the fry pan – else it will soon become a soggy, oily mess.
This is a perfect dish to transform eggplant haters into eggplant lovers. If I had tasted this as a child, the love-hate relation I shared with this humble vegetable would have been sorted so easily 🙂
Simple dish made with just 3 ingredients, showcases eggplant as a hero. Add this quick dish to your regular meal for a tasty twist.
Eggplant – 1 medium
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
- Cut the eggplant into ½ inch round slices. On each side, make light slits in a criss-cross pattern
- Rub salt and turmeric and let it sit for 10 minutes (the salt drains out excess water and any bitterness in the eggplant)
- Heat oil in a fry pan or kadhai. Put the eggplant slices in a single layer and fry until golden
- Flip and fry until golden on the other side
- Drain on a kitchen towel and serve hot
- Place the eggplant in a single layer in the fry pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan and fry in batches
- Make sure the oil is sufficiently hot while frying else the eggplants will soak too much oil