Chicken lollipop is a famous indo-chinese fusion dish which is a great appetiser. Chicken drumettes or wings frenched, marinated, crumbed and deep fried – a bliss for all chicken lovers. Chicken lollipop is perfect for parties as it can be prepared beforehand and fried when the guests arrive. This one is a favourite with kids too, DD absolutely loves it.
Chicken lollipop can be made either using chicken drumettes or chicken wings. In either case, it needs to be frenched to get the shape of a lollipop. I am using drumettes in this recipe. I am no good when it comes to french the chicken and Mr. Husband is more than happy to oblige.
Next time you find drumettes at the market, grab them and give this lip smacking dish a try. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Chicken drumettes – 500 grams (9-10 pieces)
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – 1-2 cloves
Green chilli – 2-3
Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tsp
Egg – 1
Red chilli paste – 1 tsp
Breadcrumbs – ½ cup
Cornflour – 1 tbsp
Oil for deep frying
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chilli into smooth paste using very little water. Set aside
- French the chicken drumettes and collect all the meat to one side of the bone (refer images)
- Combine the prepared chicken with soya sauce, ginger-garlic-chilli paste and vinegar. Cover and let it marinate for 4-6 hours
- Beat the egg in a bowl and mix it with red chilli paste and cornflour. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter (Click here for red chilli paste recipe)
- In a separate wide bowl, add the breadcrumbs and set aside
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Coat the marinated chicken in the egg batter and coat it in breadcrumbs
- Carefully place it in hot oil and deep fry on medium heat until golden brown
- Drain on a kitchen towel
- Serve hot chicken lollipop with sriracha sauce or any hot sauce of your choice