Vegetable fried rice is yet another popular indo-chinese dish. This simple dish is loaded with vegetables and can be made very easily with a handful of ingredients.
Vegetable fried rice that are sold at restaurants are usually loaded with MSG or ajinomoto like all other indo-chinese dishes. The adverse effects that MSG has on our health is well know. So we avoid eating indo-chinese outside. But the fact is delicious indo-chinese dishes can be made at home without any additives. Trust me, they taste better than the restaurants ones.
Here is my recipe for simple vegetable fried rice. Try it and let me know how you like it.
Click here for chicken fried rice recipe.
Rice – 2 cups
Carrots – 1 medium, finely chopped
Cabbage – ½ cup, finely chopped
Green beans – ¼ cup finely chopped
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Capsicum – ½ cup, finely chopped (I used a mix of red and green)
Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
Oil – 3 tbsp
Red chilli paste – 1 tbsp
Soya sauce – 2 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Rinse in fresh water for 15-20 minutes
- Take 8-9 cups of water in a large sauce pan and bring to boil
- Once the rice is soaked, drain the water from it and add to boiling water
- Cook until the rice is almost done (similar to al-dente in pasta)
- Drain the water completely and spread it on a wide tray so that it cools completely
- Heat oil in a large wok/kadhai on high flame. Add ginger, garlic and saute for a few seconds
- Add the chopped vegetables and stir fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add red chilli paste, vinegar, soya sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well (Click here for red chilli paste recipe)
- Add rice and stir fry for 2-3 minutes
- Turn off the flame and garnish with spring onions
- Serve hot
- It is essential to keep all the ingredients ready and handy before starting cooking. Chinese cooking is done on high heat very quickly. Stir frying on high heat produces the characteristic smoky flavour – but take care not to burn the food.
- Soak some chopped chilli in vinegar for at least 2 hours for serving alongside. Great for a nice chilli kick
- Soya sauce is quite salty. So adjust the salt level accordingly