Kebabs originated in the Middle East and widely adapted all over India, specifically in the northern states of India. When it comes to chicken kebab, I am sure it will leave meat eaters salivating instantly. Juicy tender melt-in-mouth chicken kebabs are always party pleasures. While making this kebab, I marinate the chicken overnight. The longer it marinates, the tastier it gets.
I marinate these kebabs in two steps. I first rubbed the chicken pieces in lemon juice. This is the first marinade. I then prepared the second marinade using hung yogurt, ginger, garlic, gram flour, tomato puree, cashew paste and spices. I let the chicken marinate in this for 6-8 hours or overnight.
Juicy, succulent, melt-in-mouth kebabs are perfect for dinner parties.
Chicken thigh fillets – 500 grams
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Yogurt – ½ cup strained (I prefer Greek yogurt)
Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Chickpea flour / roasted bengal gram flour – 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp or to taste
Tandoori masala – 2 tbsp
Cashew paste – 2 tbsp
Tomato puree – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Butter – for basting
- Rub lemon juice on the chicken pieces and set aside for 15 minutes. This is the first marinade
- If the yogurt is not thick enough, tie it in a muslin or cheese cloth and hang it for 30 minutes to drain out excess water
- Dry roast the chickpea flour and cool completely
- In a large bowl, mix chickpea flour, yogurt, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, cashew paste, red chilli powder, tandoori masala, salt, and oil
- Drain the lemon juice from the chicken and add the chicken pieces to the prepared marinade
- Marinade for a minimum 5-6 hours. Overnight marination is best
- Fold the chicken pieces and skewer them using metal / bamboo skewers. If using bamboo skewers soak them in water beforehand
- Preheat oven at 200 C. Place the chicken skewers in the oven and reduce heat to 180 C. Baste the chicken every 5-10 minutes with the left over marinade and butter. Cook till the internal temperature of chicken reaches 77 C (About 30 minutes)
- Serve hot with mint chutney, onion rings and lemon wedges
- Marinate the chicken overnight if you want them to be soft, melt in the mouth.
- You may use mustard oil in the marinade for added flavour