Well let me assure you, this first date will surely not be your last!
Date walnut loaf is a classic British cake and makes a perfect tea time snack. This easy old-fashion recipe is perfect for any occasion. A warm slice smeared with some butter tastes just heavenly. Traditionally, this cake is baked in a cylindrical tin, but since I didn’t have one, I used a regular loaf tin.I have made this several times and just turns out perfect every time. A must try!
Boiling water – 1 cup
Dried dates – 1 cup, pitted and chopped
Brown sugar – 1 cup, firmly packed
Self raising flour – 2 cups
Walnuts – ¾ cup, chopped
Egg – 1, beaten
Butter – ¼ cup
Soda – ¼ tsp
- Preheat the oven at 180 C. Grease a baking loaf tin (8cm X 19cm) with butter and line the baking paper
- Stir the butter into the boiling water and simmer until the butter melts. Remove from heat and add the dates and soda. Let it sit for a few minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack
- Serve a warm slice with butter