Soft, chewy melt-in-mouth cookies… Who doesn’t want a little treat with their cuppa! And if the cookies are made with the goodness of almond, coconut and chia seeds, its just perfect.
I wanted to make something different from a standard chocolate chip cookies so that we don’t feel guilty while nibbling on them. I stumbled upon this recipe from the blog ‘minimalistbaker’ and I was stoked. All my favourite things in one – almond, coconut, chocolate chips. And there was no going back.
I adapted the recipe from their blog, but changed a few things to suit our taste buds. I replaced the eggs with chia eggs as I wanted to make them egg free. I was unsure whether chia eggs will bind though, as I have never used them in cookies before. But it worked absolutely fine. We loved them so much that I already had a second batch going before the first one was over.
Gluten free, egg free, and most importantly, guilt free cookies that are to die for. This one is going to stay in my kitchen for a long time now.
Almond meal – 1 ¼ cup
Desiccated coconut – ½ cup
Brown sugar – ¼ cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – a small pinch
Vegan dark chocolate chips – ¼ cup (you may use regular ones)
Chia seeds – 1 tbsp
Coconut oil – 3 tbsp, melted
Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
- In a small bowl, mix together chia seeds with 3 tbsp water. Let it sit for 15 minutes
- In a large bowl, stir together almond meal, dessicated coconut, brown sugar, salt, dark chocolate chips
- Once the chia seeds are soaked, whisk it well. Mix it with coconut oil and vanilla extract
- Mix the wet ingredients with dry ingredients until combined
- Cover and keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven at 180 degree C
- Once the dough is rested, shape them into 1 inch balls and gently press them to flatten a bit
- Place them on a lined baking tray with 1-2 inch gap in between each
- Bake until the edges brown, about 10-12 minutes
- Cool completely and serve
- The original recipe used eggs, but I have replaced it with chia egg (chia seeds soaked in water). You may use 1 egg if chia seeds are not available