Besan laddu is a very popular Indian sweet dish prepared during festivals and special occasions. Besan laddu is made with three main ingredients – besan (gram flour), ghee and sugar.
My mom prepared the best basan laddus. During my hostel days, every time I went home for holidays, she would send a big jar full of besan laddus and they were so popular they would get finished in minutes! This is her recipe I am sharing.
To make these laddus, I roast besan in ghee until it is fragrant and aromatic. I cool it and add sugar, nuts and raisins. I then shape them into round laddus. These laddus can be stored in an air tight container for up to a week.
These delicious bites of goodness is absolutely perfect for any occasion. Do try it, you will love them as much as we do 🙂
Gram flour (besan) – 2 cups
Clarified butter or ghee – ¾ cup
Powdered sugar – ¾ cup
Cashew – a handful
Raisin – a handful
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Water – 1 tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a fry pan or kadhai. Fry the cashew until golden and set aside
- In the same pan, fry raisins until they puff up and set aside
- Now add the remaining ghee and melt it completely
- Add the besan and fry on low flame until the raw smell of besan goes away and it turns slightly golden. Initially the besan will soak up all the ghee and become dry. Then it slowly loosens up and the mixture becomes smooth
- Keep stirring the besan continuously else it may burn. This may take 12-15 minutes
- Once the besan is roasted well, add 1 tbsp water to it and mix well. This gives a fluffier texture to the laddus
- Add cardamom powder, cashew and raisins, and mix well. Transfer to a wide tray and let it cool
- Add powdered sugar. Mix well
- Take small portions of the mixture and form round shapes or laddus
- Let the laddus dry for an hour before serving or storing them
- It is really important to fry the besan correctly. If it is underdone, it will give a raw unpleasant taste. If the besan is over roasted, it may burn. The besan needs constant stirring while being roasted
- If the besan mixture is too soft (because of more ghee) and you are unable to form the round laddu shape, place the mixture for 10 minutes in fridge and try again