This perfectly moist, delicate and delicious lemon drizzle cake is the best tangy-sweet thing you will bake. And the best part of the cake – a surprise ingredient which you can never guess until you read the recipe. The main ingredient of the cake is the potato! Yes. You read it right! Potato!!
Potato adds a wonderful moistness and at the same time, lightness to the cake yet does not overpower the main lemony flavour. I have used almond meal instead of plain flour to make this gluten-free. The lemon drizzle poured on top is a perfect balance of sweet-tangy flavours.
Bake this cake and surprise everyone with a delicious cake with a secret ingredient 😉
Butter – 200 grams, at room temperature
Caster sugar – ¾ cup
Eggs – 4
Almond meal – 1 cup
Potatoes – 3 large, boiled and peeled
Lemon zest from 2 lemons
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line a 20 cm round tin with baking paper
- Grate the potatoes using a potato ricer or box grater and set aside.
- Beat the caster sugar and butter together until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition
- Fold in the almonds, potato, lemon zest and baking powder
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Let the cake sit in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer it onto a cooling rack
- To make the drizzle, mix together sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl
- Spoon the drizzle over the cake and let it cool completely
- Slice and serve