My little girl is 4!!! It feels like just yesterday I held her in my arms for the first time… How time flies.
We had planned a quiet celebration for her birthday this year as we were trying to cope with the changes the newest member of my family brought in. My little big girl is a big sister now and I feel so proud of her when I see her taking care of her little brother.
With no parties or picnics planned, I wanted to bake a special birthday cake for her and when I asked her which cake she wanted for her birthday, her choice was very clear – bake M&M cake!
So here it is. I wanted to attempt a gravity defying cake (or anti-gravity cake) for quite some time now and what better time than this. I am stoked with my maiden attempt of this cake – it turned out perfect.
For this cake, I baked a chocolate cake in a round tin using my regular recipe for chocolate cake and frosting. For decorating, I referred to this website.
My baby girl is my biggest food inspiration and the reason behind my blog. And she is the main reason I strive to be a better cook and attempt to make & bake these delicious goodies.
This gravity defying cake is specially for you my baby! Love you to the moon and back.
Chocolate cake – click here for recipe (baked in a round tin)
Icing sugar – 3 cups
Butter – ¾ cup, at room temprature
Cocoa powder – ¾ cup
Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
Milk – 2-3 tbsp
For decorating the cake:
M&M – 2 large bags
Chocolate finger biscuits – 2 packs
Two thick straws
Bake the chocolate cake (recipe here) and cool it completely
To make the icing:
- Combine icing sugar and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl
- Add butter, vanilla essence and combine well using an electric mixer
- Gradually add milk and adjust the consistency as per preference
To decorate the cake: (refer step by step picture)
- Add a dollop of frosting on the center of the cake stand. This will help the cake stay in place
- Place the cake on the frosting. Spread the frosting all over
- Cover the cake completely with the frosting
- Stick the chocolate finger biscuits all around the cake, leaving an opening in the front. You may cut the biscuits to size, if required
- Take two straws and push one into the other to get the desired length
- Push the straw in the center of the cake
- Push the M&M buttons all around the straw and cake, including the opening
- Put some frosting on the straw and stick M&Ms all around
- Carefully place the M&M empty pouch on to the top of the straw and balance it
- The gravity defying M&M cake is ready for your special occasion and is a perfect center piece for any celebration