Rava laddu are simple and quick sweet treats made with semolina, coconut and sugar. Rava laddu is a common sweet dish made during Diwali. These laddus are ready in no time and are great for quick hunger pangs.
I use fine semolina to make these laddus. I fry dry fruits, coconut and semolina in ghee until it is aromatic. I add sugar and bring it all together with some water. I then shape them into laddus are they are ready.
Hope you make and enjoy these delicious little bites!
Fine semolina (rava) – 1 cup
Coconut – ¾ cup
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Cashew a handful
Raisins a handful
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Warm water – ¼ – ½ cup
- Heat ghee in a fry pan or kadhai. Fry the cashew until golden
- Add raisins and fry until they puff up slightly. Now add coconut and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add semolina and fry on medium flame until it is aromatic and light golden
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well on low flame until the sugar melts completely
- Turn off the flame and slowly add warm water until the whole mixture comes together and binds well – see image below (don’t add all the water in one go. Add ¼ cup first and mix well. Add more water only if needed)
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool for some time
- While the mixture is still warn. Take a small amount of it and form round ball shape
- Shape all the laddus and let it dry for an hour
- Rava laddus are ready to be served
- You may replace water with warm milk while binding the laddus for a richer taste