7 cup burfi step-by-step recipe with photos.
What is 7 cup burfi
7 cup burfi (also called 7 cup cake) is made with seven cups of ingredients and is a simpler version of Mysore Pak. This burfi is easy to make and is perfect for festivals and celebrations.
The seven cups of ingredients that go into making this delicious burfi are 1 cup each of gram flour (besan), coconut, milk, ghee, and 3 cups of sugar. But I find the burfi too sweet with 3 cups of sugar, hence I add 1 ¾ cups of sugar. This makes the sweetness of the burfi just right for our liking. You may increase the sugar if you like a sweeter burfi.
Setting 7 cup burfi
The way this burfi will set depends on the amount of sugar you use. If you add 3 cups of sugar, it will give you a soft cake-like burfi (and hence the name - 7 cup cake). Use less sugar if you want a firm and well-set burfi.
Tips to get perfect burfi
- Always use milk at room temperature and not straight from the fridge
- Use less sugar if you want well-set burfi
- Melt the ghee before using it. It should be warm and liquid
- Add ghee in two batches
- Dry-roasting the besan well is important. Don't skip it
- Make sure the mixture leaves the sides of the pan before transferring to the tray
- It is also important not to cook it beyond that point - once the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and thickens, turn off the flame immediately
- is easy-to-make and can be made by beginners too
- does not need sugar syrup
- sets quickly
- stays fresh for up to 10 days when stored in an air-tight container
This simple recipe is perfect for festivals like Diwali or Ganesha Chaturthi. Do try this less-known burfi during your next celebration and wow your guests.
Click here for more burfi recipes.
7 cup burfi recipe with step by step photos
1. Dry roast the besan until it is aromatic
2. Add coconut and mix, then add sugar
3. Add milk next
4. Add ghee in two stages and keep stirring
5. Keep stirring until the whole mixture comes together
6. Burfi is ready to be set when it starts to leave the sides of the pan
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cut it while it is warm
7 cup Burfi
Click here to watch 7 cup burfi web story.