Aamrakhand (mango shrikhand) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Shrikhand is an easy dessert made with hung curd (or yogurt) and flavouring it as per your liking. The classic shrikhand is flavoured with cardamom and saffron. Hung curd is nothing but plain yogurt with all the whey drained out, making it very thick and creamy. This hung curd is then flavoured as per our likings.
Shrikhand's origin can be traced back to Mahabharata and was first made by Bheem for Shri Krishna. It is a popular dessert in the western Indian states of Gujrat and Maharashtra.
I have earlier shared the recipes of classic shrikhand and strawberry shrikhand. Making this creamy, luscious, and healthy with mango is a perfect summer treat. A chilled bowl of aamrakhand is a perfect way of celebrating summer.
I always make shrikhand with homemade yogurt. But you may replace it with Greek yogurt too. Shrikhand is ready in no time if hung curd is ready.
Shrikhand is a healthy dessert as it has all the probiotics and good bacteria from yogurt. Try aamrakhand with poori for a heavenly meal.
This exotic, delicious dessert is perfect for both your celebrations and just weekday sweet cravings.
Step by step instructions
1. Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt
2. Bring all the ends of the muslin cloth together
3. Tie the muslin cloth so that the whey drips down. Keep refrigerated
4. Combine hung curd with sugar
5. Add mango puree and combine gently
6. Combine saffron milk and serve chilled
- 3 cups yogurt
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup mango puree
- 1 tbsp milk (warm)
- Few strands saffron
- Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt. Bring all the edges of the muslin cloth together. Tie the muslin so that it can hang and the whey can drip. Alternatively, you can place the muslin cloth on a strainer and place the strainer on the bowl
- Place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight
- Next morning all the whey or liquid will be drained and you will get hung curd (you can use the whey in cooking as it is very nutritious)
- Soak the saffron strand in milk for a few minutes
- Transfer the hung curd into a bowl. Add powdered sugar and mango puree. Mix gently (take care not to over-mix it)
- Add the saffron soaked milk and mix
- Serve chilled