Air fryer plantain chips / banana chips step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Plantain chips, also famously known as Kerala banana chips, are made with raw bananas or plantains and coconut oil. These chips originate from Kerala. Traditionally, these banana chips are made with 'nendran' bananas and are deep-fried in coconut oil. They are called 'nenthra-kaaya oopperi' in Malyalam.
Crispy crunchy homemade banana chips are a perfect snack that can be made with just four ingredients (including salt) and is better than the store-bought ones any day. These delicious plantain chips are vegan, gluten-free, and suitable for the paleo diet.
They are so addictive and moreish, you just cannot stop eating them!
Plantains: Plantains are also known as cooking bananas.
Coconut oil: Use coconut oil to get authentic-tasting banana chips.
Turmeric powder and salt: These are the basic seasonings used in the classic plantain chips.
The classic banana chips are seasoned with turmeric and salt. However, here are some variations you can try to add a delicious twist to these chips
Spicy - make a spicy version of these chips by tossing the classic chips in some chilli powder or pepper.
Chaat masala - Chaat masala is a salty-tangy spice blend that is used in most Indian street foods. Sprinkle a generous amount of chaat masala on the classic banana chips for a delicious twist.
Chilli lime - Toss some chilli powder and lime juice to make a spicy-tangy version.
Storing air fryer banana chips
Plantain chips stay fresh when stored in an air-tight container for up to two weeks. They can be stored at room temperature. Make sure the chips are completely cooled before placing them in the air-tight container.
Tips for making best plantain chips
Use plantains that are hard and have dark green skin to make the best-tasting chips.
Do not skip soaking the plantains before slicing them. This will help get rid of excess starch from the plantain.
Slice the plantains evenly and as thin as possible.
Air fry first on a low temperature first and then increase the temperature. This way, all the moisture content will be removed first making it more crispy when the temperature is increased.
These banana chips are:
- homemade with no colour or preservatives
- perfect for picnics and lunchbox
- healthy as they are air fried
- vegan-friendly and gluten-free
Click here for more snacks recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Wash and peel the plantains. Soak them in turmeric water
2. Pat dry the soaked plantain slices using a kitchen towel
3. Slice them thinly taking care the slices are even
4. Combine coconut oil, 1 tsp turmeric powder, and salt in a small bowl
5. Rub the oil mixture to the plantain slices taking care all the slices are coated
6. Air fry at 150℃ for 8-10 minutes, flipping at around 5 minutes
7. Increase the temperature to 180℃ and air fry for another 2-3 minutes
Plantain chips in air fryer
- 2 plantain
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel the plantains
- Take 1 tsp turmeric powder and cold water in a large bowl. Place the peeled plantain in the bowl and let it soak for 30 minutes
- Pat dry the soaked plantain slices using a kitchen towel
- Slice them thinly taking care the slices are even
- Combine coconut oil, 1 tsp turmeric powder, and salt in a small bowl
- Rub the oil mixture to the plantain slices taking care all the slices are coated
- Place on the air fryer rack
- Air fry at 150℃ for 8-10 minutes, flipping at around 5 minutes
- Increase the temperature to 180℃ and air fry for another 2-3 minutes
- Cool completely before storing