Akki rotti step-by-step recipe with photos.
Akki Rotti directly translates to “rice roti (flatbread)”. It is a unique breakfast dish from Karnataka, which is basically flatbread made with rice flour. It is made by mixing rice flour with salt, water, and a handful of other ingredients and kneading into a dough. The dough is then spread on a tawa or griddle with hands (it cannot be rolled like a plain flour dough because rice flour is gluten-free). They are served with chutney and butter/ghee.
This dish is very simple to make and can be ready in no time. You can load it with vegetables of your liking. Carrots and onion are usually added to this dish; however, dill leaves and hyacinth beans (avarekalu) can be added too which tastes very good with this. During winter when avarekalu is in season, it is customary to add it to akki rotti. Very easy to make and ready in just 15 minutes, these flatbreads are perfect for breakfast. They are great for lunch boxes too as they stay soft throughout the day.
For a variation, try ragi rotti which is made with finger millet and is gluten-free too.
Akki Rotti step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Take all the ingredients in a bowl
2. Crumble well to make a moist mixture
3. Add water and knead into a dough
4. Pour oil and place the dough onto it
5. Spread the dough with wet hands
6. Cook the rotti with some oil until done
7. Flip and cook both sides until completely done
8. Hot rotti ready to be served
Serve hot akki rotti with chutney