Akki rotti step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Akki Rotti directly translates to “rice roti (flatbread)”. It is a unique breakfast dish from Karnataka, which is basically flatbread made with rice flour. It is made by mixing rice flour with salt, water, and a handful of other ingredients and kneading it into a dough. The dough is then spread on a tawa or griddle with hands (it cannot be rolled like a plain flour dough because rice flour is gluten-free). They are served with chutney and butter/ghee.
This dish is very simple to make and can be ready in no time. You can load it with vegetables of your liking. Carrots and onion are usually added to this dish; however, dill leaves and hyacinth beans (avarekalu) can be added too which tastes very good with this. During winter when avarekalu is in season, it is customary to add it to akki rotti. Very easy to make and ready in just 15 minutes, these flatbreads are perfect for breakfast. They are great for lunch boxes too as they stay soft throughout the day.
For a variation, try ragi rotti which is made with finger millet and is gluten-free too.
Step by step instructions
1. Take all the ingredients in a bowl
2. Crumble well to make a moist mixture
3. Add water and knead into a dough
4. Pour oil and place the dough onto it
5. Spread the dough with wet hands
6. Cook the rotti with some oil until done
7. Flip and cook both sides until completely done
8. Hot rotti ready to be served
Serve with chutney
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 green chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves finely chopped
- A few coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 teaspoon oil
- Take all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Crumble the mixture well until all the ingredients are mixed well
- Slowly add water little at a time and knead a smooth dough
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil onto a griddle or tawa (the tawa should be cold at this point)
- Pinch out a lemon-sized dough and place onto the oil
- Wet your hands with water and gently pat the dough to spread it out evenly on the tawa
- Place on medium flame and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add more oil as needed
- Carefully flip the rotti and cook on both sides until completely done and it starts to get golden
- Serve hot with chutney