Almond burfi step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Burfi is similar to fudge. Typically this burfi is made by blanching almonds, making a paste out of it, and cooking it. I usually make an easier version with almond meal and it turns out excellent. In fact, using almond meal instead of almonds gives it a non-sticky taste, similar to one we find in sweet shops in India. Absolutely delicious...
To make this mildly sweet burfi, I make a thin sugar syrup and add almond meal into it. I then cook it until the moisture evaporates and it comes together. I knead the whole mixture a little bit, roll it into a disc and cut it out. Done! Ready in minutes, almond burfi stays fresh for 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container.
For more burfi recipes.
Click here for more almond recipes.
Almond burfi step by step instructions
1. Boil sugar and water to make the syrup
2. Add almond meal, ghee and cook until it comes together
3. Keep stirring until it comes together into a mass
4. Transfer the mixture onto a plate and let it cool slightly
5. Knead the mixture while it is still warm
6. Place the mixture between two baking sheets and roll it
7. Trim off the edges and cut into squares
- Heat a nonstick pan and add sugar, water, and cardamom powder
- Stir continuously until the sugar dissolves and bring to a rapid boil
- Reduce the flame and immediately add the almond meal. Mix well to break any lumps that can form
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and cook on low flame until it all comes together as a moist, sticky mass and starts to leave the pan
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool a bit
- While the mixture is still warm, add 1 tbsp ghee and knead to form a ball. If the mixture is too dry, add 1 tsp of milk, if its too wet, add 1 tbsp milk powder
- Place it on a baking sheet and roll it to ½ inch thick disc
- Cut into squares using a pizza cutter or knife
- Garnish with saffron and serve
- I like this burfi to be mildly sweet as it brings out an excellent nutty taste. For a sweeter burfi, increase the sugar by ¼ – ½ cup
- If you don’t have almond meal handy, grind whole almonds into a fine powder and pass it through a sieve
- Make sure you use the exact amount of water mentioned, else the mixture will become very runny and difficult to set
- Knead the mixture while it is still warm
- For a vegan option, replace ghee with an equal amount of oil