Aloo paratha step-by-step recipe with photos.
Aloo paratha or potato stuffed flatbread. ‘Aloo’ means potato in Hindi and paratha is an unleavened flatbread made with atta (also called chapati flour or Indian whole wheat flour). This all-time favourite, popular Punjabi breakfast needs no introduction. This is one of the most popular breakfast dishes in northern India. These unleavened flatbreads are made with Indian whole wheat flour or atta and are stuffed with a spicy potato filling.
There are several ways you can prepare the stuffing. In my recipe, I saute the boiled and mashed potatoes with onion and spices. This makes the parathas very delicious. You may choose to skip this step and just mix all the stuffing ingredients together; however, I highly recommend sauteing them first.
Crispy from the outside, soft from with inside with moist and spicy potato filling is definitely a winning dish.
While traditionally this was a breakfast food in Punjab, we love to eat it any time of the day. These parathas taste best when served with Indian pickles and yogurt.
Aloo paratha step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Fry onion, chilli and ginger in oil
2. Add potatoes and remaining spices
3. Mix well and add coriander leaves
4. Add potato mix in center of the flattened dough
5. Bring the edges together and seal
6. Flatten the dough and dust with some flour
7. Roll it into a disc
8. Place the paratha on a hot tawa
9. Flip the paratha and add 1 tsp ghee or oil
10. Flip again and add ghee so that both sides are cooked