Amaranth greens stir-fry recipe.
About this recipe
Amaranth leaves or amaranth greens are nutritious leafy vegetables eaten widely throughout India. It is well-known for its health benefits – controls hypertension, is good for controlling diabetes, prevents anemia, improves digestion, to name a few. A cup of amaranth leaves can meet 97% of your daily vitamin A requirements. Outside of India amaranth is better known for its seeds which is considered a superfood. They are available in shades of red and green, with red ones being more common in India.
Making amaranth greens stir-fry or shaak bhaja is really easy and just needs three ingredients. First, wash and clean the leaves really well, and then roughly chop them, removing the thick stem. Next, heat a teaspoon of oil and add a few slices of garlic and dry red chilli. Add the chopped leaves and salt. Cover and simmer until the leaves are done - about four to five minutes. Then, increase the flame and make sure all the excess moisture is dried out.
I have grown up eating amaranth (called ‘harive soppu’ in Kannada) in the form of a lentil stew or sambar. But this stir fry recipe is a Bengali dish, also called shaak bhaja. This quick, simple and delicious side dish is made with just 3 ingredients, is ready in less than 15 minutes, and tastes great with steamed rice. Do give it a try and add a healthy dish to your weekday meals.
Click here for more green leafy vegetable recipes.
Click here for more Bengali recipes.
Amaranth greens stir-fry
- 2 bunch amaranth (green or red)
- 2-3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the amaranth leaves. Remove the thick stems and roughly chop them
- Heat oil in a fry pan or kadhai. Add garlic slices and dry red chilli. Saute until the garlic turns golden
- Add the chopped amaranth greens and salt. Mix well
- Cover and simmer until the greens are completely cooked
- Increase the flame and dry out any excess moisture that may be left
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with steamed rice