Avalakki chiwda/chivda (Flatten rice snack) step-by-step recipe with photos.
Avalakki means beaten or flattened rice in Kannada. This crunchy munchy healthy avalakki chiwda or chivda is a mixture of beaten rice, peanuts, coconut, and spices. They stay fresh up to a week when stored in an air-tight container. But I can assure you they won’t last that long. Make a big batch and store it for weekday snacking. Who says healthy snack can’t be tasty!
Traditionally, the avalakki or beaten rice was spread on a wide tray and kept under the sun so that it crisps up. I spread it on a baking dish and crisp it in an oven. This way, it is much faster and done evenly. I then prepare a spice mix for the chiwda and mix everything together. Once it cools down, I store it in an airtight container.
They stay fresh for 7-10 days. But trust me, they will not last that long 😉
For more snacks recipes, click here.
Avalakki chiwda/chivda step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Oven roast thin poha until crunchy
2. Fry peanuts until crunchy
3. Add rest of the spices and fry (asafoetida, green chilli, curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, salt, sugar)
4. Add roasted Bengal gram (hurigadle/puthani) and coconut
5. Next, Add the raisins and saute until the raisins puff up
6. Mix everything well. The spice mix to make the chiwda is ready
7. Turn off the flame and combine the spice mix and avalakki together and mix well