Beetroot deviled eggs with step-by-step recipe.
About this recipe
Deviled eggs, aka dressed eggs or stuffed eggs, are hard-boiled eggs that have been cut into half and filled with a creamy stuffing made with the yolk. Beetroot-dyed deviled eggs are a very vibrant variation of the classic deviled eggs where the hard-boiled eggs are first dyed in beetroot to give the egg whites a nice pink colour.
They are not only a great party appetiser but they are also a perfect healthy snack or great in the lunchbox too. My daughter loves eggs but when it comes to hard-boiled eggs, she doesn’t like the dry texture of the yolk. Making them this way is just perfect to fix that problem for her. You may skip dyeing the eggs and make simple and classic deviled eggs with the same recipe.
To make deviled eggs, it is important to hard-boil them perfectly. If they are underdone, you will not be able to crumble and mash them. Also, the intensity of the pink colour depends on how strong the dye is. So if you want a more intense colour, let the eggs sit in the dye for a longer period.
Click here for more beetroot recipes.
How to make beetroot-dyed deviled eggs
1. Prepare the beetroot dye
2. Soak the boiled eggs in the dye
3. Cut the dyed eggs lengthwise
4. Scoop out the yolk carefully
5. Mash the yolk and prepare the stuffing
6. Spoon in the prepared stuffing into egg whites
7. Garnish with chilli powder and serve
Beetroot-dyed deviled eggs
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 beetroot grated
- 1 litre water
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp red chilli powder optional, for garnish
- Take water and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add the grated beetroot and boil for a further 5 minutes
- Turn off the flame and let the liquid cool down completely
- Strain the beetroot dye into a wide bowl
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and place in the cold dye
- Let it sit for 1-2 hours. You can let it sit for longer if you want a deeper colour
- Remove the eggs from the liquid
- Cut them into half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the egg yolk
- Mash all the egg yolk well with a fork
- Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Combine well
- Using a small spoon, spoon the egg yolk mixture into the egg white
- Sprinkle with chilli powder and serve