Beetroot pulao step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Beetroot pulao is an easy one-pot rice dish made with beetroot, Basmati rice, and whole spices. This simple vegan dish is wholesome, full of flavours, and definitely a treat for the eyes. Beetroot pulao is great for an easy weekday meal and lunchboxes. This bright and pretty dish will surely be loved by the kids. Enjoy this colourful dish with plain yogurt and salad or any raita of your choice for a delicious complete meal. I add potatoes and peas as well to this which balances the dish perfectly.
Read on for all the tips and tricks to make the perfect beetroot pulao.
Benefits of beetroot
Beetroots are packed with essential nutrients and are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and iron. Beetroot is rich in folates and potassium. It is associated with many health benefits, including improved blood flow and lowering blood pressure. Beetroot is also good for the skin.
Basmati Rice: I use Basmati rice to make the beetroot pulao.
Beetroot: This is the main ingredient of the dish. Use fresh and firm beetroot.
Potatoes and peas: Apart from beetroot, potatoes and peas are used in the dish.
Onion, ginger, and garlic: Use thinly sliced onions in this pulao. I also add lots of ginger and garlic making the dish absolutely delicious.
Spices: The whole spices I use are bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, pepper, and star anise. The powdered spices I use are turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala
Tips for making perfect beetroot pulao
A perfectly cooked pulao will have rice that is well cooked, not sticking or forming a lump and the rice grains separated and free-flowing.
Use Basmati rice to make the pulao. Not only does Basmati rice have a great aroma, but it also has long grains that if cooked correctly, are separate, non-lumpy and do not stick to each other.
Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly in running water. Once it is washed, soak it for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Soaking the rice is an important step while making any kind of pulao and is often overlooked. Washing and soaking the rice will help to remove excess starch from the rice and achieve a non-sticky texture to the pulao.
The amount of water I have used here gives the perfect texture to the rice. Add 2½ cups of water to 1½ cups of Basmati rice.
Cut the beetroot and potatoes into small cubes making sure they are even. This way, they will be well cooked when added along with the rice.
The whole spices are important to make the best-tasting pulao. You may skip the ones you don't have but it will definitely change the taste of the final dish.
Serve beetroot pulao with plain yogurt or raita of your choice.
Click here for more beetroot recipes.
This dish is:
- vegan friendly
- complete one-pot meal
- very easy to make and suitable for beginners
Step by step instructions
1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds and whole spices (bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, pepper, and star anise)
2. Add the sliced onion. Fry on medium heat until they are translucent
3. Once the onion is done, add ginger and garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell goes
4. Add the beetroot and potatoes
5. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes
6. Add the soaked rice, peas, and salt
7. Add 2½ cups of water. Mix well and bring it to a boil
8. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked and moisture is dried
9. Turn off the heat and gently mix the rice. Add coriander leaves
- 1½ cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup beetroot (1 large)
- 1 medium potato
- ½ cup peas
- 1 large onion sliced
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic grated (or ½ tablespoon ginger paste)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 small pieces cinnamon
- 4 cardamom
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly in running water. Soak it in water for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Wash and peel the beetroot and potato. Cut them into small cubes
- Heat oil in a frying pan or kadhai
- Add cumin seeds and whole spices (bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, pepper, and star anise)
- Saute for a few seconds
- Add the sliced onion. Fry on medium heat until they are translucent
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell goes (approximately 1-2 minutes)
- Add the beetroot and potatoes
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes
- Drain the water from the rice
- Add the soaked rice, peas, and salt
- Add 2½ cups of water. Mix well and bring it to a boil
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked and moisture is dried
- Turn off the heat and gently mix the rice
- Add coriander leaves
- Serve hot with plain yogurt or raita
Click here to watch beetroot pulao web story.