Beetroot raita step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
What is raita
Raita is a yogurt-based accompaniment or condiment that is great with everyday meals and also a great dip. This chilled dish is made by seasoning yogurt with a few spices along with vegetables or fried tiny chickpea droplets called boondi.
About this recipe
The most commonly used vegetables in raita are cucumber, tomato, and onion, but this version of raita made with beetroots tastes very different and absolutely delicious.
This dish tastes best when served after chilling in the refrigerator for some time as the pink hue from the beetroot gets deeper.
Beetroots are packed with essential nutrients and are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and iron. Beetroot is associated with numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow and lowering blood pressure. Beetroot is also good for the skin.
Yogurt: Use plain yogurt to make the raita. I use homemade yogurt.
Beetroot: I used a large beetroot in this recipe (approximately 150 grams). This gives one cup of grated beetroot.
Ghee: I prepare the tempering with ghee; however, you may replace it with any oil of your choice.
Mustard seeds: This is the only spice I use to make the raita.
Curry leaves and green chilli: Use finely chopped curry leaves and green chilli. If you prefer a milder version, you may skip the green chilli.
This mildly sweet and tangy, healthy, and delicious dish is a great accompaniment with rice dishes. It is a great alternative to your regular dips too. Pair beetroot raita with these dishes and enjoy a perfect meal.
Click here for more beetroot recipes.
Tips for making the best beetroot raita
Whisk the yogurt well making sure there are no lumps and it is smooth.
Let the cooked beetroot cool completely before adding to the yogurt. If you add the mixture whilst it is still hot, the yogurt may curdle.
I prefer to cook the beetroot well as raw beetroot may tend to add some mild bitterness to the raita.
Let the raita chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
This beetroot raita is:
- flavourful and delicious
- different from regular raita
- easy to make and ready in less than 15 minutes
- suitable for beginners
Step by step instructions
1. In a frying pan, heat ghee and add mustard seeds
2. Once they crackle, add curry leaves and green chilli
3. Saute for a few seconds
4. Add the grated beetroot and salt
5. Saute until the beetroot is cooked and the moisture evaporates
6. Let it cool completely
7. Whisk the yogurt in a bowl until it is smooth and has no lumps
8. Add the cooled beetroot mixture
8. Add the coriander leaves and mix well
4. Let it chill before serving
- In a frying pan, heat ghee and add mustard seeds
- Once they crackle, add curry leaves and green chilli
- Saute for a few seconds
- Add the grated beetroot and salt. Saute until the beetroot is cooked and the moisture evaporates
- Let the mixture cool completely
- Whisk the yogurt in a bowl until it is smooth and has no lumps
- Add the cooled beetroot mixture and coriander leaves to the yogurt and mix well
- Let it chill for a few hours before serving
- Make sure the cooked beetroot is cooled completely before adding to the yogurt
Click here to watch beetroot raita web story.