Besan burfi step-by-step recipe with photos.
Besan burfi is a delectable sweet treat that is made with three main ingredients: besan (gram flour/chickpea flour), ghee, and sugar. They are perfect for celebrations like Diwali. It is a common sweet more popular in north India and is made during winter.
Besan is a common ingredient when it comes to making sweet treats in India, besan burfi, besan laddu, 7-cup burfi to name a few. Besan burfi is different from besan laddu even though they have the same key ingredients. Apart from the visible difference of shape, the burfi is set by making a sugar syrup while the laddu is sweetened with powdered sugar and shaped.
The most important step in making besan burfi is to roast the besan correctly on low flame. It is also important to keep stirring it at this stage as besan can burn very easily if left unattended. It is also important that the sugar syrup reaches one-string consistency. This means that when you place a drop of sugar syrup in between your two fingers and pull them apart, it should form a thin string. This is attained by simmering sugar and water until the desired consistency is reached. If you like your burfi to be more firm and hard, let the sugar syrup attain two-string consistency. I also add some fine semolina (suji/rava) to besan burfi. This adds a great crunch to it; however, you can skip this if you want to make it gluten-free.
Follow these fail-proof tips when making the burfi and get perfect burfis every time.
For more burfi recipes, click here.
Besan burfi step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Heat ghee in a thick bottom pan. Once the ghee is completely melted, add semolina and besan
2. Fry on low flame until it is aromatic and lightly golden
3. Heat sugar and water in another pan and bring it to boil. Let it simmer until it reaches one string consistency
4. Carefully pour the sugar syrup to the besan mixture
5. Keep stirring the mixture
6. Add cardamom powder and mix well
7. The mixture will come together
8. Pour on to a baking sheet and let it set. Make indents while it is still warm