South Indian style black-eyed peas curry (alasande kalu palya) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Black-eyed peas curry or alasande kalu palya is a simple dish is made with black-eyed beans cooked in an onion-tomato base and aromatic spice blend. Sort your weekday dinner with this healthy black-eyed peas curry. Black-eyed peas are a variety of cowpeas and are called alasande kalu in Kannada, and lobia or chawli in Hindi. This wholesome dish is jam-packed with proteins and fiber, not to mention how tasty it is! Blitz the leftover curry and make a great dip or spread. This dish tastes good with both rice and roti/chapati.
Benefits of black-eyed peas
Black-eyed peas are nutrition-rich beans that are loaded with health benefits. They are a good source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. It is rich in fiber as well as micronutrients.
Black-eyed peas: They are also known as cowpeas and is a common legume used in Indian cooking. Like most legumes, I use soaked and boiled black-eyed peas.
Onion and tomato: I use them to make the masala base of this dish.
Spices: The main flavour of the dish comes from a spice blend (bisi bele bath masala powder). I also use mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, and curry leaves.
Coconut oil: I use coconut oil to make this dish; however, you may replace it with any cooking oil of your choice.
To make this dish, I boil the soaked black-eyed peas in salted water. I then temper in coconut oil some spices and saute onion till translucent. I then add tomatoes and cook till they are tender. I add bisi bele bath masala powder to this dish which gives it a unique and delicious flavour. However, if it is not readily available, you can substitute it with sambar powder. I then finish it with and coriander leaves. I prefer to make this dish with coconut oil or ghee; however, you may replace it with any cooking oil of your choice.
This dish is:
– Vegan friendly
– Good source of protein for vegetarians and vegans
– Freezer-friendly. Make a large batch, portion, and freeze it. It can be frozen for up to three months
So healthy and delicious. Do try this and let me know how you like it.
For more curry recipes, click here.
Black-eyed peas curry step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Boil black-eyed peas until tender but not mushy
2. Heat oil and prepare the tempering (seasoning)
3. Add onions and fry till they are translucent
3. Add tomatoes and cook them for a few minutes
4. Next, add turmeric powder, bisi bele bath masala powder, chilli powder, and ¼ cup water
5. Cook on low flame until the tomatoes and spices are completely cooked
6. Add the cooked black-eyed peas along with some of the water in which it was boiled
7. Check for seasoning and simmer
8. Curry is ready after simmer
Black-eyed peas curry