Bottle Gourd Leaves Stir-fry | Lau Pata Chorchori step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Bottle gourd leaves stir-fry or lau pata chorchori is an easy and healthy dish made with tender stalk and leaves of bottle gourd. This Bengali dish is very easy to make and is ready in less than 20 minutes. It goes very well with plain steamed rice.
The main flavour of this dish comes from an easy spice base made with poppy seeds and mustard seeds. This masala base works very well with other green leafy vegetables too. You may use tender pumpkin leaves and stalk instead of bottle gourd leaves in this recipe.
Using bottle gourd leaves
Bottle gourd is one of our favourite vegetables and I cook it in several ways - from mains to dessert. We grow bottle gourd plants in our backyard veggie patch during summer and make the most of it. Not just the bottle gourd itself, its peel, leaves, and tender stalk - nothing goes waste. This easy recipe is made with the leaves and tender stalk/vine of bottle gourd.
Bottle gourd is known for its health benefits. It is rich in vitamins and minerals, and is high in water content. The leaves and stalk too is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. This easy stir-fry is a great way of making the most of this beneficial plant.
Click here for more bottle gourd recipes.
Bottle gourd leaves and tender stalk: Use freshly picked leaves and tender stalk/vines.
Poppy seeds and mustard seeds: These are the main spices used and forms the base of this dish.
Nigella seeds: Nigella seeds are also called 'kalo jeere' (black cumin) in Bengali and 'Kalonji' in Hindi.
Tips for making perfect Bottle Gourd Leaves Stir-fry
Use tender stalks and leaves to make this dish. Older stalk and leaves are fiberous and inedible.
Let the stalk cook first for a few minutes before adding the leaves. Stalk takes more time to cook completely.
Do not add any water while cooking. The bottle gourd leaves release a lot of moisture.
This dish is:
- very easy to make and uses minimal ingredients
- healthy and great way to add greens to your meal
- suitable for beginners
Step by step instructions
1. Grind poppy seeds, mustard, and green chilli into a smooth paste
2. Heat oil, add nigella seeds, and let it splutter
3. Add the stalk, mix well and let it cook. Add the leaves and mix well
4. Add the ground paste, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and let it simmer
5. Let the leaves and stalk cook completely
6. Increase heat and let the excess moisture dry
Bottle Gourd Leaves Stir-fry | Lau Pata Chorchori
- 1 big bunch bottle gourd leaves and tender stalk
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chilli or as per taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the bottle gourd leaves and stalk
- Separate the stalk from the leaves. Cut the stalk into 2-inch pieces and roughly chop the leaves
- Soak poppy seeds and mustard in little water for 10-12 minutes
- Combine the soaked poppy seeds with green chilli and grind into a smooth paste
- Heat oil in a kadhai or frying pan and add nigella seeds
- Once it splutters, add the bottle gourd stalk and mix well
- Cover and let it cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add the leaves and mix well
- Add the ground paste, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well
- Cover and let it simmer until the leaves and stalk are completely cooked
- Increase the heat and let excess moisture dry
- Serve hot with steamed rice