Bottle gourd peel chutney with a step-by-step recipe.
About this recipe
Bottle gourd is a versatile vegetable with numerous health benefits, that can be used to make dry curry, dal, yogurt-based curry, and even halwa. The peel of bottle gourd is a powerhouse of nutrients too and can be converted into a delicious chutney that tastes very good with idli or dosa. This chutney is very easy to make and will be ready in no time.
Bottle gourd is a regular vegetable in my kitchen. We grow organic bottle gourd in our veggie patch during summer. I have earlier shared various bottle gourd recipes like dal, majjige huli, dry curry, and halwa. Here is my version of chutney made with the bottle gourd skin. Don’t throw away the peel next time and do try this recipe. Simple, healthy, and made with a handful of ingredients - this chutney is a definite winner.
Click here for more chutney recipes.
Bottle gourd peel chutney step by step instructions
1. Heat oil in a kadhai and fry chana dal
2. Add green chilli, ginger, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes
3. Add bottle gourd peel
4. Cover and let it cook
5. Add coconut and tamarind pulp. Cool completely and grind into a smooth paste
6. Prepare the tempering and add to the chutney
Bottle Gourd Peel Chutney
- 1 medium bottle gourd peel
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup Bengal gram (chana dal)
- ½ inch ginger
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 green chilli or as per taste
- ¼ cup coconut fresh, grated
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
To make the tempering
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chilli
- ½ tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai or frying pan and add chana dal
- Fry until they are golden
- Add green chilli, ginger and garlic. Saute for a few minutes
- Add the bottle gourd peel and salt. Mix well, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the peel is completely cooked
- Turn off the flame. Add coconut and tamarind pulp, and mix well
- Let the mixture cool down completely
- Grind into a smooth paste by adding very little water
- To make the tempering, heat 1 tsp oil and add mustard seeds
- Once they splutter, add the remaining tempering ingredients. Saute for a few seconds
- Pour the prepared tempering onto the chutney and serve
Click here to watch the bottle gourd skin chutney web story.