Bread uppittu/bread upma step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Bread uppittu or bread upma is my go-to dish when I have excess bread sitting in my refrigerator. Simple and quick snack or perfect for weekday breakfast. They are great for lunch boxes too. I make them using white or multi-grain bread - tastes great with both (here I have used white bread). You may choose to use leftover bread to make this dish. In fact, leftover bread works best to make it. Peanuts are an important ingredient while making this dish. They add the perfect crunchy texture to it. Make sure the peanuts are fried until they are crispy, taking care not to burn them.
To make this dish, you just need a handful of ingredients and a few slices of bread. I first make a tempering (seasoning) with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. I add peanuts to this and fry until they are crunchy. I then fry onions in the same mixture and add the bread slices that I have cut up into small pieces. I combine everything well and let the bread char slightly before finishing off with coriander leaves and lemon juice.
Try this easy, tasty bread dish which is read in less than 15 minutes and you won’t miss your toast or sandwich 🙂
I have started baking sourdough bread now and I have tried making bread upittu with sourdough. It turned out exceptionally well.
Click here to learn how to make sourdough bread, including a starter and all the troubleshooting.
Step by step instructions
1. Fry peanuts until they are crunchy
2. Fry onions until translucent
3. Add bread pieces and mix well
- 6-7 slices bread
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- A pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1-2 green chilli chopped or as per taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ lemon
- A few coriander leaves for garnish
- Cut the bread slices into bite-sized pieces and set aside
- Heat oil in a fry pan or kadhai and add mustard seeds
- Once it splutters, add cumin seeds, urad dal, hing, curry leaves, green chilli and saute for a few seconds
- Add turmeric powder, peanuts and fry on medium flame until peanuts are crunchy (2-3 minutes)
- Add onions and saute briefly until the onion is translucent
- Add salt and mix well
- Add the bread pieces and mix well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve