Authentic and traditional khaman dhokla from the scratch step-by-step recipe with photos.
Khaman dhokla is a Gujarati dish very similar to the south-
The traditional khaman dhokla is slightly dense and crumbly than the instant ones but
If the batter is fermented well, the dhokla does not need any baking soda or fruit salt that is added in the instant ones. I do not add them in the batter as it naturally has the lightness to it. If you are very keen on the porous texture that comes with the nylon dhokla, you made add a pinch of soda before steaming but remember soda would give it a distinctive after taste which most of us are not a fan of.
This authentic, traditional dish is great for breakfast, snack, and lunch boxes. Do give this recipe a try and you will not want to go back to instant dhoklas again.
For more Gujrati recipes, click here.
Khaman Dhokla step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Wash and soak chana dal, urad dal and poha
2. Grind into smooth paste, mix well and let it ferment
3. Batter after fermentation
4. Mix turmeric, salt and ginger-green chilli paste
5. Add oil and mix
6. Pour into a greased plate
7. Place in a steamer
8. Steam until competely done
9. Prepare the tempering in a small pan
10. Pour tempering and garnish
11. Cut into squares and serve
Recipe source here.