Butter chicken step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Butter chicken or Murg makhani is one of the most popular Indian curries across the world. Soft succulent chicken pieces that are marinated, then cooked in a tandoor or oven and simmered in a creamy mildly spiced tomato gravy – this dish will surely win your heart. While this dish is cooked in a tandoor in restaurants, you can make it in an oven too. You may also choose to barbeque the marinated chicken and use it to make this dish.
To make this dish, I marinate boneless chicken thigh pieces in a mix of yogurt and spices overnight in the refrigerator. I then skewer and grill them in the oven. I make a rich gravy with butter, whole spices, tomato, and cream. I then simmer the grilled chicken pieces in it.
It is really important to marinate the chicken pieces for a long time to make them soft, tender, and melt-in-mouth. I prefer marinating them overnight and recommend a minimum of 4-6 hours marination for this dish.
Luscious, creamy goodness paired with naan or kulcha – you won’t like your chicken any other way!
Click here for more chicken recipes.
Click here for more Punjabi recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Marinade to be rubbed on chicken
2. Sting the marinated chicken into skewers
3. Bake chicken until golden and slightly charred
4. Saute whole spices and ginger paste in butter
5. Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, salt, and water
6. Add the cooked chicken pieces
7. Add honey and cream and simmer
Creamy, luscious butter chicken
- 500 grams chicken thigh cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon tandoori chicken masala
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients for marination in a bowl. Marinate the chicken pieces in it overnight or for 4-6 hours in the refrigerator
- Preheat oven at 180 C (360 F)
- String the chicken pieces into skewers and cook in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes
- Turn on the grill and let it char for another 4-5 minutes
- Heat butter in a frypan and add whole spices. Saute for a minute
- Add ginger, garlic paste and fry for another minute
- Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, salt, and 1 cup warm water. Bring to boil
- Reduce flame and simmer for 10-12 minutes
- Add the cooked chicken pieces
- Crush kasuri methi slightly in your palms and add to the gravy
- Add the honey and cream and mix well
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes and turn off flame
- Serve hot