Capsicum masala step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Capsicum masala or palya is a simple dish from north Karnataka. In this dish, the capsicum is cooked in a coconut-peanut base. The freshly ground spices, the nutty taste from peanuts & coconut, the tang from the tamarind, and the slight crunch in the capsicum make this a winning dish every time you make it.
You may use any colour bell pepper to make this dish (here I have used a mix of red and green). But as a child, I have eaten this dish only with green capsicum – as that was the only capsicum available in our little town. This dish tastes great as a side dish with rice or rotis. You may cook the capsicum as per your liking – I prefer a slight crunch in the capsicum.
All capsicums, whether it is red, green, yellow, or orange, are considered an excellent source of vitamins A and C. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, and folate. Red capsicum ticks the superfood box too.
Make this tasty and unique capsicum masala with the colourful bell peppers and bring rainbow straight to your plate!
Click here for more Karnataka recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Dry roast coconut and spices
2. Grind into a smooth paste using some water
3. Dice the capsicum
4. Heat oil and prepare the tempering
5. Add capsicum and fry for few minutes
6. Add ground paste and spice powders
7. Mix well and simmer until done
- 2-3 large capsicum diced (I used a mix of red and green)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tbsp Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder you may skip this if you want a milder version
- A small piece jaggery
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- Salt to taste
FOR THE MASALA BASE:
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- ¼ cup coconut dried or dessicated
- ¼ cup peanuts roasted
- Dry roast sesame seeds, coriander seeds, dried coconut and dry red chilli on medium flame until it is aromatic
- Cool it completely. Add roasted peanuts and grind it to a smooth paste using some water
- Heat oil in a fry pan or kadhai and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves and grated ginger. Saute for a few seconds
- Add the capsicum and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder salt and the ground paste. Mix well
- Add jaggery and tamarind pulp. Add ½ cup water to adjust consistency
- Mix well, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve