Learn how to make carrot halwa with step-by-step recipe.
About this recipe
Carrot halwa or gajar halwa – this is an all-time favourite dessert in India. In India, during winter, a special variety of bright red carrots are available and this halwa tastes divine with those carrots. But who wants to wait for that when the halwa tastes just as amazing any time of the year. I am drooling as I write this. Guess it’s time to grate some carrots now!
I prefer to make the halwa with jaggery rather than sugar but you may use sugar instead of jaggery. To make this dish, I grate the carrots in my food processor. I then fry the grated carrot in some ghee until aromatic. I add milk to it, cover, and simmer until the carrots are completely done. I then add jaggery and let the excess moisture dry. Once the halwa comes together, I add some more ghee and fried nuts.
Serve hot carrot halwa with cold vanilla ice cream for an out-of-the-world dessert.
Click here for more halwa recipes.
Carrot halwa step by step instructions
1. Grate carrots using a food processor or box grater
2. Fry the nuts until golden brown
3. Add milk to carrots and simmer
4. Add jaggery/sugar and mix well
- 1 kg carrots grated
- 500 mL milk
- ½ cup jaggery you may replace this with sugar
- ¼ cup ghee
- 2-3 cardamom
- 2-3 tbsp cashew
- 2-3 tbsp almonds
- 2-3 tbsp raisins
- Wash and peel the carrots. Grate them using a food processor or box grater
- Heat a thick bottom pan or skillet and add 1 tbsp ghee. Fry the nuts until golden brown and set aside
- In the same pan, add the grated carrot and fry for 5-6 minutes, until it starts to wrinkle
- Add milk and bring to boil. Simmer and cook carrots in milk
- Stir occasionally and continue cooking until the milk almost dries up. This takes 45-50 minutes
- Add jaggery or sugar and stir. Cook for another 10-15 minutes until the sugar dissolves completely and the halwa starts to thicken up
- Add the remaining ghee and mix well. Increase flame to dry out any excess liquid
- Meanwhile, pound the cardamom with ½ tsp sugar to get cardamom powder
- Add the cardamom powder, fried nuts, and raisins. Mix well
- Serve hot
- You may use condensed milk instead of regular milk and sugar
- Hot carrot halwa tastes amazing with vanilla ice cream
- To reduce the cooking time, you may pressure cook the carrots and milk. Then follow the drying process