Chicken kebab step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Kebabs originated in the Middle East and widely adapted all over India, specifically in the northern states of India. When it comes to chicken kebab, I am sure it will leave meat eaters salivating instantly. Juicy tender melt-in-mouth chicken kebabs are always party pleasures. While making this dish, I marinate the chicken overnight. The longer it marinates, the tastier it gets.
I marinate these kebabs in two steps. I first rubbed the chicken pieces in lemon juice. This is the first marinade. I then prepared the second marinade using hung yogurt, ginger, garlic, gram flour, tomato puree, cashew paste, and spices. I let the chicken marinate in this for 6-8 hours or overnight. This long marination makes the chicken very tender and melt-in-mouth.
Juicy, succulent, melt-in-mouth kebabs are perfect for dinner parties.
Chicken kebab step by step instructions
1. In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients together
2. Mix them together to form the marinade
3. Add the chicken pieces and mix well
4. Cover and let the chicken marinate for 5-6 hours
5. Skewer the marinated chicken pieces
6. Place the chicken skewers in a preheated oven and bake
8. Golden roasted chicken kebab
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour/chickpea flour)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder or to taste
- 2 tablespoon tandoori masala
- 2 tablespoon cashew ground into a smooth paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-2 tablespoon butter for basting
- Rub lemon juice on the chicken pieces and set aside for 15 minutes. This is the first marinade
- If the yogurt is not thick enough, tie it in a muslin or cheesecloth and hang it for 30 minutes to drain out excess water
- Dry roast the chickpea flour and cool completely
- In a large bowl, mix chickpea flour, yogurt, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, cashew paste, red chilli powder, tandoori masala, salt, and oil
- Drain the lemon juice from the chicken and add the chicken pieces to the prepared marinade
- Marinade for a minimum of 5-6 hours. Overnight marination is best
- Fold the chicken pieces and skewer them using metal/bamboo skewers. If using bamboo skewers soak them in water beforehand
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F). Place the chicken skewers in the oven and reduce heat to 180 C. Baste the chicken every 5-10 minutes with the leftover marinade and butter. Cook till the internal temperature of chicken reaches 77 C or 170 F (About 30 minutes)
- Serve hot with mint chutney, onion rings, and lemon wedges
- Marinate the chicken overnight if you want them to be soft, melt in the mouth.
- You may use mustard oil in the marinade for added flavour