Chicken lollipop step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Chicken lollipop is a famous Indo-Chinese fusion dish that is a great appetizer. Chicken drumettes or wings frenched, marinated, crumbed, and deep-fried – a bliss for all chicken lovers. This dish is perfect for parties as it can be prepared beforehand and fried when the guests arrive. This one is a favourite with kids too, DD absolutely loves it.
Like I have mentioned before, we don’t prefer eating Indo-Chinese dishes in restaurants because of the addition of MSG and additives. Why compromise on health when we can make these dishes at home without compromising on taste!
Chicken lollipop can be made either using chicken drumettes or chicken wings. In either case, it needs to be frenched to get the shape of a lollipop. I am using drumettes in this recipe. I am no good when it comes to french the chicken and Mr. Husband is more than happy to oblige.
Next time you find drumettes at the market, grab them and give this lip-smacking dish a try. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Click here for more Indo-Chinese recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. French the chicken drumettes and collect all the meat to one side of the bone
2. Marinate the chicken with soya sauce, vinegar, ginger-garlic-chili paste
3. Chicken drumettes after marination
4. Mix egg, red chilli paste, and cornflour to form a batter
5. Dip the marinated chicken in the batter
6. Coat the dipped chicken with breadcrumbs
7. Chicken drumettes are ready to be fried
8. Fry in hot oil until golden brown
- 500 grams chicken drumettes 9-10 pieces
- A small piece ginger
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 green chilli
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp red chilli paste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Oil for deep frying
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chilli into a smooth paste using very little water. Set aside
- French the chicken drumettes and collect all the meat to one side of the bone (refer images)
- Combine the prepared chicken with soya sauce, ginger-garlic-chilli paste and vinegar. Cover and let it marinate for 4-6 hours
- Beat the egg in a bowl and mix it with red chilli paste and cornflour. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter
- In a separate wide bowl, add the breadcrumbs and set aside
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Coat the marinated chicken in the egg batter and coat it in breadcrumbs
- Carefully place it in hot oil and deep fry on medium heat until golden brown
- Drain on a kitchen towel
- Serve hot chicken lollipop with sriracha sauce or any hot sauce of your choice