Chilli paneer recipe step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Hot and spicy chilli paneer is my absolute favourite when it comes to Indo-Chinese dishes. Pieces of paneer marinated and shallow fried, and finished in a chilli-capsicum stir fry is a sure winner for me. We love Indo-Chinese dishes but don’t prefer eating them in restaurants because of the usage of MSG and additives.
To make this dish, I first marinate paneer cubes in a mixture of flour, ginger, garlic, soya sauce, sauce, tomato sauce and cornflour. I then shallow-fry them. I make a sauce with onion, capsicum, ginger, garlic, soya sauce, vinegar, and chillies. I then saute the fried paneer cubes in the sauce and finish with some spring onions.
Unlike the restaurant ones, I don’t deep fry the paneer cubes. I shallow fry them instead. The result is a healthier version of chilli paneer that tastes even better than the restaurant ones. Do try this, it is absolutely delicious!
Click here for more Indo-Chinese recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Cut capsicum and onion into cubes and set them aside.
2. Mix all the ingredients for marinating the paneer.
3. Marinate the paneer cubes.
4. Shallow fry paneer until golden on all sides.
5. Saute ginger garlic on high heat.
6. Saute onion and capsicum for a few minutes.
7. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
8. Add paneer cubes and mix well.
- 250 grams paneer cut into cubes
- Oil for shallow frying paneer
FOR MARINATING PANEER:
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
FOR THE GRAVY:
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¾ cup capsicum cubed (I have used a mix of red and green)
- 1 medium onion cubed
- 2-3 green chilli slit
- A few spring onion for garnish
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for marination to form a thick batter using very little water
- Coat the paneer cubes in it and let it sit for 15-20 minutes
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Shallow fry the paneer pieces on both sides until it is golden. Set aside
- In another frying pan, heat 2 tablespoon oil and fry ginger, garlic for a minute
- Add onion, capsicum, green chilli and fry for another 1-2 minutes on high flame
- Add vinegar, soya sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well
- Add the paneer and stir fry for a minute
- Turn off the flame and garnish with spring onion
- Serve hot