Cholar dal (Bengali style chana dal) step-by-step recipe with photos.
Cholar dal is a popular Bengali dish usually prepared on special occasions. This delicious dish is made with Bengal gram, whole spices, and coconut, and is on the sweeter side. The aroma from whole spices and the texture from coconut makes it very unique. This Bengali style chana dal is a great accompaniment with luchi (Bengali deep-fried puffed bread).
To make this dish, I first soak and boil chana dal with whole spices. I then prepare a tempering in ghee and add the boiled dal along with coconut slices, sugar, and raisins. This dal is on the sweeter side and is served slightly thick rather than a runny dal. It tastes great with both luchi and plain parathas.
This simple dal full of flavours is perfect for a weekend brunch. Here is how I make this dish. Do try it and let me know how you like it.
For more Bengali recipes, click here.
CHOLAR DAL RECIPE VIDEO:
Cholar dal step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Boil chana dal with whole spices (cardamom and cloves), turmeric and salt
2. Heat ghee and prepare the tempering (seasoning) with cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, and dry red chilli. Then add ginger and hing
3. Add cooked dal, raisins, turmeric powder and sugar
4. Add water and adjust consistency. Once the dal boils, let it simmer for a few minutes until it thickens
5. Once the dal is simmered and it thickens, then add fried coconut pieces