Churumuri chiwda/chivda (puffed rice with spices) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recioe
Churumuri (also called churmuri) or puffed rice – perfect ingredient to make a healthy snack. Churumuri chiwda is an easy-to-make snack that can be made within just a few minutes. Churumuri is popularly known as mandakki in Kannada. This dish is different from bhelpuri which is famous street food. Chiwa is dry and is made with a spice tempering, whereas bhel puri is made by combining wet ingredients like tomato, onion, etc. in churumuri.
This healthy snack comes in very handy on busy days or for sudden hunger pangs. They are a great light snack with your evening tea.
There are a number of ways puffed rice can be used to make a snack. This is a simple recipe where it is tossed with a tempered spice mixture. Store it in an airtight container and it will stay fresh for 1-2 weeks. Crunchy, healthy tea time snack, or just munch on it when you feel like it!
Click here for churumuri or bhel puri recipe.
Churumuri chiwda step by step instructions
1. Fry the peanuts until crunchy
2. Add dry red chilli, coconut slices, and roasted Bengal gram
3. Add the spices and curry leaves
4. Add puffed rice and mix well
- 5 cups puffed rice churumuri
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2-3 dry red chilli
- 10-12 curry leaves
- ¼ cup roasted Bengal gram (puthani)
- ¼ cup coconut dried, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup peanuts raw
- Heat oil in a large frypan or skillet. Fry the peanuts until they are crunchy
- Add the dry red chilli, coconut slices, and roasted Bengal gram and fry for a few more minutes
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add the puffed rice and mix well
- Once cooled store in an airtight container
- Make sure the churmuri chiwda is completely cooled before storing, else it can lose its crunch
- Adjust the chilli based on your preference