Spicy, tangy tomoto thokku or pickle is a must in my kitchen when tomatoes are in season. This instant tomato pickle is very simple to make and can stay fresh for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. I remember eating tamarind thokku as a child at my aunt’s place. I will share that recipe soon.
Tomato thokku not only tastes great with curd rice or just plain steamed rice, but it is also perfect with idli and dosas too. There are some versions of thokku with ginger-garlic added, but I prefer to skip the ginger garlic and make it in a simpler way. Mix it with some steamed rice to make instant tomato rice. This versatile pickle is something you don’t want to miss when tomatoes are in season.
Tomato thokku step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Dry roast mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds
2. Cool completely and grind into a fine powder
3. Saute tomatoes, add tamarind and jaggery to it
4. Cook until the tomatoes get soft and mushy
5. Add the spice powders and salt
6. Cook completely, then dry out the excess moisture
7. In a separate pan. prepare the tempering
8. Pour the tempering over the thokku
9. Mix well, server immediately or store once it cools down