Pumpkin peel chutney is a very simple flavourful and highly nutritious chutney that serves as a great accompaniment for south Indian breakfast/tiffin foods like idli, dosa, vadas, etc. It can be a great spread for your toasts and sandwiches as well. And the best part is you can adjust the spiciness or the tanginess as per your preference and yet get the best tasting chutney.
Next time you chop that pumpkin, don’t throw away the peel. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it tastes.
Pumpkin peel chutney
Pumpkin peel chutney step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Fry chana dal and dry red chillies in some oil
2. Add pumpkin peel and simmer until it is cooked completely
3. Add coconut, tamarind, salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes
4. Grind into smooth paste once cooled
5. Prepare the tempering in a separate pan
6. Pour the tempering over the chutney