Classic vanilla cupcake and buttercream frosting step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
The basic classic cupcake that will always remain in fashion and the classic frosting that you can never get enough of – vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting. Traditional cupcakes are always a crowd-pleaser. These cupcakes are loved by all. You can whip up batches upon batches but can never get bored of it. They are great for everyday treats or fancy them with icing and decorate them for special occasions.
This is a one-bowl recipe where all we have to do is combine all the ingredients to make the cupcake together, whisk it, pour it into the cupcake tin and bake it. This recipe of cupcakes uses eggs. You can find my eggless cake recipes here.
I like making these cupcakes as it is a simple one-bowl recipe and that makes it an excellent project to do with my little girl. They are almost too easy to bake.
Simple, sweet treats that will become your go-to vanilla cupcake recipe in no time!
Vanilla cupcake step by step instructions
1. Combine all ingredients for the cupcakes in a medium bowl
2. Using an electric mixer beat on low speed until all ingredients are combined
3. Divide into cupcake cases
4. Bake in preheated oven until done
5. Cupcakes ready to be cooled before frosting
6. Beat butter in a bowl using an electric mixer until pale
7. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat well
8. Fill the frosting into a piping bag
9. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes
Classic vanilla cupcake
For the cupcakes
- ½ cup butter at room temprature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the frosting
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). Line 12 hole cupcake pan trays with cupcake cases
- Combine all ingredients for the cupcakes in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer beat on low speed until all ingredients are combined
- Then beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and has changed in colour
- Divide into cupcake cases and bake in preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until done
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely
- To make the frosting, beat butter in a bowl using an electric mixer until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined
- Fill the frosting into a piping bag and pipe over cooled cupcake