Curd rice (mosaranna) step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Curd rice or mosaranna is a simple comforting dish made with rice and yogurt. Mosaru means yogurt and anna means rice in Kannada.
This dish has so many childhood memories and is very close to my heart. For a Kannadiga, the meal is complete without mosaranna. A plate of mosaranna can brighten up a dull day for me like no other. Mosaranna is also an important part of festivals and celebrations too.
The very basic method of making mosaranna is to combine rice and yogurt well and season it with some salt. In this recipe here, I am mixing it with a simple tempering and coconut, grapes, and pomegranate seeds. Soft-boiled rice mixed with yogurt is so comforting, you will want to go back to it every day.
About Indian 'curd'
In India, curd actually refers to unsweetened plain yogurt. Making yogurt at home is a ritual in most south Indian households. Curd/yogurt is a part of our breakfast, lunch, dinner, and lunch boxes too. Be it summer or winter, this is an important part of our daily food.
Curd is made by bacterial fermentation of milk. Typically, lukewarm milk is mixed with some curd starter and is left to ferment. If a curd starter is not available, a stem of green chilli is used to begin the fermentation process. Click here to read how I make curd aka yogurt at home.
Making curd/yogurt at home is the best option as it has all the good bacteria and probiotics intact. Store-bought yogurt may be easy and convenient but can never match the quality and taste of homemade yogurt. Once you start making yogurt at home you will never want to go back to the store-bought ones.
Rice: Any Indian variety rices works for this dish.
Yogurt: I use homemade plain yogurt to make this dish.
Tempering: The tempering is prepared with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chilli, ginger, curry leaves, chana dal, and urad dal.
Ghee: I use ghee to prepare the tempering; however, it can be replaced with any oil you prefer.
Cashew: Cashew adds a great texture and nuttiness to curd rice.
Coconut: I use fresh grated coconut in curd rice.
Pomegranate seeds and grapes: They add a mild sweetness and flavour to the dish. Don't skip them.
Tips for making creamy curd rice
Let the rice overcook. The softer the rice is, the creamier the curd rice will be.
Make sure both the rice and tempering are cooled completely.
Don't cut the grapes as they will fall apart in the curd rice. Add them as a whole.
You may add some milk to add more richness to the curd rice.
Curd rice (mosaranna) is absolute comfort food, without a doubt. Serve it with a spoon of lemon pickle for a perfect meal.
Click here for more yogurt recipes.
This curd rice is:
- very comforting
- easy to make and suitable for beginners
- perfect for lunchboxes
Step by step instructions
1. Wash the rice well and cook it with sufficient water until it is completely done. Let it cool down completely
2. Heat ghee and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add rest of the tempering ingredients
3. Add ginger and green chilli
4. Saute briefly
5. Add cashew and fry until it is golden
6. Let the tempering cool completely
7. Add yogurt and salt to the cooled rice. Mix well
8. Add the cooled tempering, coconut, pomegranate seeds, grapes, and coriander leaves
9. Mix well
Creamy curd rice ready to be served
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tsp ghee (can be replaced with oil)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chilli
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tsp Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1-2 green chilli finely chopped or as per taste
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2-3 tbsp cashew
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut fresh, grated
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 8-10 grapes (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Wash the rice well and cook it with sufficient water until it is completely done. The rice for this dish should be slightly overcooked than the regular steamed rice. Let it cool completely
- To make the tempering, heat ghee in a frying pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter
- Add chana dal and urad dal. Saute for a few seconds
- Add curry leaves, ginger, green chilli. Stir fry briefly
- Add cashew and fry until it is light golden
- Let the tempering cool completely
- Once the rice is cooled, add yogurt, salt, and water. Mix well
- Add the prepared temper, coconut, pomegranate seeds, grapes, and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Serve with pickle
Click here to watch curd rice web story.