Curry leaves rice step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Curry leaves are an integral part of every south Indian kitchen. It is a key ingredient in tempering. This aromatic herb has numerous therapeutic benefits. These leaves have their mention in Ayurveda and are used in Ayurvedic medicines to cure several ailments. They are known for their usage in hair oil too.
Despite being a key ingredient for seasonings, it is often discarded and not eaten. The best way to add them to your diet is by making the chutney powder and an easy rice dish out of it. This dish is ready in 10 minutes if you have the chutney powder ready.
I make curry leaves rice by tossing cooked rice in ghee, seasonings, peanuts, and curry leaves chutney powder. Make sure the cooked rice is completely cooled before using it. You may use leftover rice to make this delicious herby dish. I prefer to make this dish with ghee as it tastes best that way. But if you are looking for a vegan option, you may replace it with olive oil or any regular cooking oil.
Click here for the curry leaves chutney powder recipe.
Click here for more recipes for rice-based dishes.
Click here for more Karnataka recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Heat ghee in a frying pan and prepare the tempering
2. Add peanuts and fry until they are crispy
3. Add salt and curry leaves chutney powder
4. Add the cooked rice and mix gently
5. Simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes
Curry Leaves Rice
- Heat ghee in a frying pan and add mustard seeds
- Once it splutters, add dry red chilli, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, chana dal, ural dal and curry leaves. Fry for a minute on low flame
- Next, add peanuts and fry on medium flame until they are crispy
- Add salt and curry leaves chutney powder. Mix well
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently
- Cover and simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes
- Serve hot
Click here to watch the curry leaves rice web story.