Dahi Baingan (Eggplant in yogurt sauce) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Dahi baingan or dahi wale baingan or baingan raita is a simple dish made with eggplant, yogurt, and minimal spices. This Odia dish is very easy to make and is ready in 15 minutes. This dish is suitable for festivals too as it uses no onion and garlic. Pan-fried eggplant mixed with yogurt that is seasoned with minimum spices is a winning side dish not just for everyday meals, but also for potlucks and parties.
The use of spices in my version of dahi baingan is minimal. All you need are six main ingredients - eggplant, yogurt, turmeric powder, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. I make it very similar to raita with a simple tadka (seasoning) added to yogurt and pan-fried eggplant.
The first time I ate brinjal in curd was in Puri, Odisha and I loved it. This has been a regular in my kitchen since and is loved by all of us. This delicious twist on begun bhaja (Bengali-style fried eggplants) is something you don't want to miss!
Eggplant: Use fresh and tender eggplant to make dahi wale baingan. Click here to see how to select eggplant for this dish.
Yogurt: I use homemade yogurt to make dahi baingan or eggplant raita.
Spices: I use mustard seeds and cumin seeds to make the tempering (tadka/seasoning). The only powdered spice I use is turmeric powder.
Click here for more eggplant recipes.
- is very easy to make and can be put together in less than 15 minutes
- tastes good when served either cold or at room temperature
- can be made ahead
- is a great variation from the regular eggplant dishes
Step by step instructions
Rub the eggplant with turmeric and salt. Heat oil and fry the eggplant and fry on medium heat until they are golden brown and fully cooked (steps 1,2).
Whisk the yogurt well until it is smooth and without lumps (step 3).
In a small pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add cumin seeds and curry leaves (step 4).
Add the tempering to the yogurt and mix well. Add the fried eggplant and mix gently (steps 5,6).
Dahi Baingan (Eggplant in yogurt)
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil plus 1 teaspoon for tempering
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- Wash the eggplant and cut them into small cubes
- Rub the eggplant with turmeric and salt
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a frying pan or kadhai
- Add the eggplant and fry on medium heat until they are golden brown and fully cooked. Set aside
- Take yogurt in a large bowl and whisk it well until it is smooth and without lumps. Set aside
- In a small pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add mustard seeds
- Once it splutters, add cumin seeds and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds and turn off the heat
- Add the tempering to the yogurt and mix well. Check for seasoning
- Add the fried eggplant and mix gently
- Dahi baingan is ready to be served