Dalia khichdi step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Dalia khichdi is broken wheat and moong dal porridge that is healthy, nutritious, and a great alternative for the regular rice khichdi. It is a rich source of protein, fiber, and iron.
Broken wheat (dalia), yellow lentils (moong dal), vegetables, and mild spices slow cooked in ghee tastes absolutely wonderful! In this, you can add any vegetable of your choice.
To make dalia, I saute cumin seeds, bay leaves, and red chilli in ghee. I then add tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy. I then add cut vegetables and saute for a few minutes. I add soaked dalia and moong dal to this, add water, give it all a good mix and cook in a pressure cooker. I like to top it with some more ghee while serving.
This one-pot meal is the perfect comfort food for cold winter nights. And the leftovers are great for breakfast the next day. Make this healthy, easy one-pot meal for a comforting weekday meal.
Click here for the recipe of khichdi made with dal and rice.
Step by step instructions
1. Soak moong dal and dalia for 30 minutes
2. Add ghee to a pressure cooker and prepare tempering (seasoning) with cumin seeds, bay leaves, dry red chilli, and ginger
3. Add tomatoes and spices
3. Saute until the tomatoes are soft
4. Add cut vegetables and saute for a few minutes
5. Add the soaked moong dal and dalia
6. Add water and pressure cook until done
- ½ cup dalia (broken wheat)
- ½ cup moong dal
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 dry red chill
- 1 bay leaf
- A small pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-2 teaspoon red chilli powder or as per taste
- 1 cup cut vegetables (I have used a mix of carrot, peas, beans and capsicum)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak dalia and moong dal in sufficient water for 30 minutes
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker or thick bottom pan. Add cumin seeds, hing, bay leaf and dry red chilli
- Once the cumin splutter, add ginger paste and saute for a few seconds
- Add tomato, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala. Saute well until the tomatoes are soft
- Add the vegetables and suate for a further 2-3 minutes
- Drain water from dalia and moong dal. Add it and saute for another 2-3 minutes
- Add 4 cups of water, salt and mix well. Close the pressure cooker (or cover the pan with a lid)
- Cook for two whistles or until the dalia is completely done
- Serve hot