Dalia khichdi step-by-step recipe with photos.
Dalia khichdi is broken wheat and moong dal porridge that is healthy, nutritious, and a great alternative for the regular rice khichdi. It is a rich source of protein, fiber, and iron.
Broken wheat (dalia), yellow lentils (moong dal), vegetables, and mild spices slow cooked in ghee tastes absolutely wonderful! In this, you can add any vegetable of your choice.
To make dalia, I saute cumin seeds, bay leaves and red chilli in ghee. I then add tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy. I then add cut vegetables and saute for a few minutes. I add soaked dalia and moong dal to this, add water, give it all a good mix and cook in a pressure cooker. I like to top it with some more ghee while serving.
This one-pot meal is perfect comfort food for cold winter nights. And the leftovers are great for breakfast the next day. Make this healthy, easy one-pot meal for a comforting weekday meal.
For recipe of khichdi made with dal and rice, click here.
Dalia khichdi step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Soak moong dal and dalia for 30 minutes
2. Add ghee in a pressure cooker and prepare tempering (seasoning) with cumin seeds, bay leaves, dry red chilli and ginger
3. Add tomatoes and spices
3. Saute until the tomatoes are soft
4. Add cut vegetables and saute for a few minutes
5. Add the soaked moong dal and dalia
6. Add water and pressure cook until done