Date tamarind chutney step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Date tamarind chutney (famously known as khajur imli ki chutney) is an integral part of Indian street food. This is also called sweet chutney and can be called one of India's most favourite chutneys. This sweet tangy chutney is a perfect accompaniment for almost all chaats and fried snacks. This chutney stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to a month and can be frozen for up to 6 months.
To make this chutney, I first make a spice mix by roasting cumin seeds and fennel seeds and grinding them into a fine powder. I combine dates and tamarind with water and boil it. I then add jaggery, salt, and spices., and let it simmer until the mixture becomes thick and pulpy. Then, I cool it completely and pass it through a sieve. The chutney is ready to be served or stored. I use plain pitted dates to make this chutney. However, they can be replaced with Medjool dates too.
Make and store this unique chutney and add a delicious zing to your snack time!
Click here for more chutney recipes.
Serve this chutney with
Here are some famous street food recipes that call for this delicious chutney.
Step by step instructions
1. Dry roast cumin and fennel seeds
2. Grind them into a fine powder
3. Combine dates and tamarind in a saucepan
4. Boil with jaggery and spices
5. Let the chutney thicken
6. Grind into a smooth paste
Date tamarind chutney
- 15-20 dates pitted
- 1 cup tamarind seedless
- ¾ cup jaggery grated
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 cup water
- Dry roast cumin and fennel seeds until aromatic. Cool and grind into a fine powder. Set aside
- In a saucepan, combine dates, tamarind, and water, and bring to a boil
- Add the powdered cumin-fennel seed powder, red chilli powder, salt and jaggery
- Mix well and simmer on low-medium flame for 15-20 minutes until the chutney becomes slightly thick and pulpy
- Cool it and blend in a blender or mixer. Pass the chutney through a sieve
- Cool completely before storing in the refrigerator