Eggless banana coconut bread step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
An overripe banana is never thrown away in my kitchen. I use it to make either Mangalore bun or banana bread. I have earlier shared the recipe for banana bread. That version used eggs and it was pretty common in my kitchen, until recently. My sister-in-law who visited us a few weeks back doesn’t eat eggs. And I wanted to serve this as a breakfast so it keeps us full while we are busy being tourists along with them. So I tried this eggless version of banana coconut bread and it turned out excellent. Everyone loved it. The sweetness from bananas matched with the nuttiness of coconut is absolutely magical for your taste buds.
This easy cake-like bread is very easy to put together and tastes very different from regular banana bread. It is moist like a cake, yet sturdy like bread, and can even be toasted.
Banana bread makes a perfect breakfast for busy weekdays. This moist, sweet, cake-like bread is great as a teatime snack too. A slice of warm banana coconut bread smeared with some butter is absolutely oh-so-good!
Banana: Overripe bananas work best for this bread.
Desiccated coconut: Desiccated coconut is what sets this bread apart from regular banana bread.
Self-rising flour: Self-rising flour is plain flour with baking soda and salt added to it.
Brown sugar: I use brown sugar for this bread; however, it works well with raw sugar too.
Yogurt: Yogurt is a key ingredient when making eggless cakes or bread.
Oil: I use sunflower oil to make this bread.
This bread is:
- cake-like, yet sturdy enough to be toasted
- great for breakfast as well as tea
- very easy to make and suitable for beginners
- perfect for lunchboxes
- great for outdoors and picnics
Step by step instructions
1. Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl
2. Mash the bananas well
3. Combine oil, yogurt, and vanilla essence to the mashed banana
4. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients
5. Fold everything together well
6. Pour into loaf pan
7. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean
8. Cool completely on wire rack
9. Slice and serve
Eggless banana coconut bread
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). Grease and line the base and sides of a loaf pan with baking paper
- Place the flour, coconut, brown sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and stir to combine
- In another bowl, mash the bananas well using a fork or masher
- Combine oil, yogurt and vanilla essence to the mashed banana. Mix well
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Fold gently to mix them well
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool
- Slice and serve with butter (optional)