Eggless tutti frutti cookies (Hyderabad Karachi bakery style biscuit) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About Karachi bakery
Karachi bakery is a very famous bakery that was founded in Hyderabad. It was started by Khanchand Ramnani who migrated from Karachi to Hyderabad in 1947 during the partition. Now they have bakeries across many cities in India and their products are famous all over India. In fact, their baked goodies are widely available in Indian stores all over the world. Amongst all the delicious goodies they bake, their tutti-frutti cookies are the most famous.
About this recipe
Anyone who has lived or visited Hyderabad cannot go past this recipe without thinking about not making it. The famous eggless tutti frutti cookies or tutti frutti biscuits from the very famous Karachi Bakery. These Karachi biscuits are made with candied fruits and nuts. Baking these cookies at home takes the taste to a whole new level. In addition, we have the option to tweak sweetness and nuttiness. They are really simple to make and can stay fresh for up to 10 days when stored in an airtight container. These fabulous cookies are perfect for tea time and are loved by the kids.
Tutti frutti: Tutti frutti are candied fruits that come in various colours. They are easily available in Indian stores. You may replace it with any candied fruits of your choice.
Plain flour and cornflour: A combination of plain flour and cornflour is used to make these cookies.
Milk powder: Milk powder adds richness to these cookies.
Flavouring: Vanilla extract and rose essence is used to flavour these cookies.
Tips for baking perfect Karachi biscuit
Make sure you chilli the dough in the refrigerator. This will help in cookies retaining their shape.
Let the butter come to room temperature before creaming it with sugar. If the butter is cold, it will not cream easily and the dough will not have a uniform texture.
The baking time depends on the oven. Keep a close eye after around 8 minutes and check if the bottom of the cookies is browning.
Remember that these cookies will be slightly soft when they are just out of the oven. They will harden once they cool completely.
Cool them completely before storing them. It is best to cool them on a wire rack.
Try these sweet, nutty, melt-in-mouth cookies studded with candied fruits and I am sure it will be loved by all!
Click here for more eggless cakes and cookies recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Take butter and powdered sugar in large bowl
2. Beat until light and fluffy
3. Add dry ingredients
3. Add cashew and tutti frutti ingredients
4. Mix gently together to form a dough
5. Divide the dough into two portions. Roll into cylindrical shape logs
6. Wrap them individually in cling wraps and place in the fridge for 30-45 minutes
7. Cut the cylinder into 1 cm thick slices
8. Place them on the prepared trays
9. Bake on the preheated oven and cool on a wire rack once done
Eggless tutti frutti cookies
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar powdered
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Tutti fruitti
- ¼ cup cashew chopped
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rose essence
- ¼ cup milk powder
- Take butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix gently together to form a dough (take care, not to over mix)
- Divide the dough into two portions
- Roll into cylindrical shape logs and wrap them individually in cling wraps
- Place the logs in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes
- Preheat oven at 180℃. Line baking tray with baking paper
- Cut the cylinder into 1 cm thick slices
- Place them on the prepared trays
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are done when the bottom of the cookies starts to brown
- Cool completely on a wire rack
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container