Eggless tutti frutti cupcakes step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Tutti frutti cake is a childhood favourite of most people in India. Soft spongy cakes studded with colourful tutti frutti bring back so many wonderful memories for me. We have all grown up eating them in tea-time snacks, lunch boxes, picnics, or mostly just like that! They are so good and are one of our favourite cakes.
While they are great when baked like a cake and sliced, the cupcakes are even better. Baking them as cupcakes makes them softer and adds a golden crunch to the outside which tastes great and is perfect for lunch boxes too.
What is Tutti Frutti
Tutti frutti is candied confectionery containing chopped fruits that are usually coloured. While tutti frutti is usually made with a variety of dried and candied fruits, in India, it is made with raw papaya or watermelon rind. They are bright coloured, mostly red, yellow, and green; and are used in cakes, cookies, and also topped on ice creams.
Plain flour: These cupcakes are made with plain flour or maida.
Tutti frutti: The Indian-style tutti frutti is easily available in any Indian store outside of India.
Cashew and raisins: These are optional ingredients.
Yogurt: I use homemade yogurt for this recipe.
Sugar: I use plain sugar here; however, raw sugar works well too.
Oil: Any neutral cooking oil can be used to make these cupcakes.
Cardamom powder and vanilla essence: This adds amazing flavour to these cupcakes.
Tips for making best eggless cupcakes
The batter is slightly thick here but does not be tempted to add water or milk to thin it down. Thick batter gives light and fluffy cupcakes.
Make sure the yogurt is at room temperature. Place it outside the refrigerator for at least an hour before you start making the batter.
Once the yogurt becomes frothy, do the rest of the mixing very gently taking care not to lose the air bubbles.
Remember that tutti frutti are sweet and add sweetness to the cakes. I bake these cupcakes with ½ cup sugar which gives the perfect sweetness. You may increase the sugar depending on your preference.
Coating the tutti frutti in flour is important. If you don’t coat it, it will sink to the bottom of the cake
To check if the cupcakes are done, gently press them while they are still in the oven. If they bounce back, they are done and if your finger leaves a dent, it needs a few more minutes.
These cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to two-three days. Cool them completely and store them in an air-tight container. If you are planning to store them for more than 2-3 days, place them in the refrigerator. Always bring them to room temperature before serving.
Click here for more dessert recipes.
These eggless tutti frutti cupcakes are:
- perfect for snacks, picnics, and lunchbox
- moist, light, and flavourful
Step by step instructions
1. Combine tutti frutti, cashew, and raisin in a small bowl
2. Coat them with 1 tablespoon flour and set them aside
3. Whisk together yogurt and sugar
4. Mix in baking powder and baking soda
5. Let it sit for 5 minutes. The mixture will turn frothy
6. Once yogurt becomes frothy, add oil, vanilla essence, and salt. Mix gently
7. Take care not to lose the air bubbles
8. Add flour in batches and mix gently
9. Add tutti frutti mix and combine gently
10. Spoon the mixture into the lined baking tin
11. Bake in the preheated oven until cupcakes are completely done
Perfectly baked tutti frutti cupcake
Eggless tutti frutti cupcakes
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup tutti frutti mix
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoon cashew chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Preheat oven at 180 C (360 F)
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners
- In a small bowl add tutti frutti, cashew, and raisins. Add 1 tablespoon flour to it and combine well so that they are completely coated with flour. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add baking powder and baking soda to it and mix gently. Set aside for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, the yogurt mix becomes frothy. Now add oil, vanilla essence and salt. Mix gently
- Add flour in batches and mix gently until all the flour is incorporated well
- Now add the tutti frutti mix and combine gently
- Spoon in the mixture into a lined cupcake baking tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the cupcakes are completely done
- Transfer on a wire rack, cool and serve
- I bake these cupcakes with ½ cup sugar. You may increase the sugar depending on your preference
- Once the yogurt is frothy, make sure you mix the rest of the ingredients gently so that the mixture doesn’t lose air bubbles
- Baking time depends on the oven. My batch of cupcakes took 18 minutes
- Coating the tutti frutti in flour is important. If you don’t coat it, it will sink to the bottom of the cake