Flourless almond cake step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
This flourless almond lemon cake is incredibly fresh, mildly sweet, lemony, and light. This naturally gluten-free cake is made with almond flour and has a beautiful zesty flavour from the lemon. I also add a little cardamom powder which adds a beautiful aroma to this cake.
With crumbs that are moist yet light, this delicious cake makes a great dessert. This cake stays fresh for a couple of days and doesn't lose its moistness or become dense. This cake can be easily made in just a few minutes and is an absolute crowd-pleaser. It doesn't matter if you are on a gluten-free diet or not, you will definitely love this winning cake. Do give it a try!
Ingredients and subsitutes
Almond flour: I use almond flour to make this cake. Almond meal works too (see tips).
Eggs: I use room temeprature eggs for this cake.
Lemon zest: I use lots of lemon zest adding an intense flavour to the cake. Orange zest also works well for this cake.
Sugar: I use raw sugar for this cake. It can be replaced with regluar sugar.
Cardamom powder: This adds a beautiful aroma to the cake. This ingredient is optional; however, I recommend not to skip it.
Tips for making perfect flourless almond cake
I use almond flour to make this cake, which gives it a light texture. You may replace it with almond meal; however, this may make the cake slightly dense.
Make sure the eggs are at room temperature before using.
Beat the egg whites until you get soft peaks and add sugar in batches while beating them.
Add egg whites in batches to the flour mixture. The first batch (about a quarter) needs to be mixed really well as it will loosen the mixture. Once the mixture is loosened, fold the egg whites gently. Mix the last batch of egg whites really gently making sure you retain as much air as possible. This will help in making the cake light.
Use lots of lemon zest. This adds maximum flavour to the cake.
Store the cake in an air-tight container. This cake stays fresh and moist for up to three days at room temperature. You may also store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
For more grain-free recipes, click here.
This flourless cake is:
- gluten-free and grain-free
- light and fluffy, just like regular cakes
- moist yet soft crumbs
- very refreshing
Flourless almond cake recipe video
Step by step instructions
1. Combine egg yolks with lemon zest and ¼ cup sugar. Mix well until they are fully incorporated
2. Add cardamom powder and baking powder. Mix well
3. Gradually add the almond flour and keep mixing until all the almond flour is incorporated
4. At this stage, the mixture will resemble a thick paste
5. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites. When the mixture begins to get frothy, add salt and vinegar
6. Continue to beat the egg whites and add the remaining ¼ cup sugar gradually. Beat the egg white until soft peaks are formed
7. Add the egg whites to the almond mixture in batches until the mixture loosens
8. Add the remaining egg whites and fold in gently into the batter
9. Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
10. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then place it on a wire rack to cool completely
Flourless Almond Lemon Cake