Fried sweet dumplings (kadubu) step-by-step recipe with photos.
Kadubu is deep-fried sweet dumplings with a sweet filling. It is a mandatory food during Ganesha Chaturthi. There are two types of filling that goes in them – one is hoorna (chana dal, jaggery and coconut) and the other one is dried coconut. I have shared the recipe with coconut filling earlier. In this recipe, I am using hoorna as the filling.
The hoorna stuffing is prepared the same way it is prepared for holige. You can find the fail-proof recipe for holige here.
Traditionally, these fried sweet dumplings (kadubu) are served with ghee. A small dent is created in the center of the kadubu and ghee is poured into it. Make this for your next celebration and enjoy.
Fried sweet dumpling (kadubu) step-by-step recipe with photos
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, semolina and ghee
2. Slowly add water and knead into a slightly stiff dough. Let the dough rest
3. Wash the chana dal and soak for 1 hour
4. Boil it and grind along with coconut to make a smooth paste
5. Add jaggery and cook them together
6. Cook the hoorna until all the moisture dries out and it comes together as a mass. Add cardamom powder and mix well
7. Cool the hoorna completely
8. Once the dough is rested, pinch out a lemon-sized ball and roll it into a thin disc. Cut into small discs using a cookie-cutter or a sharp lid
9. Put in 1-2 tbsp of hoorna
10. Apply water to the edges, bring the ends together and seal it completely
11. Fry the kadabu in batches on medium-low flame until golden
FOR THE DOUGH:
FOR THE STUFFING:
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
TO MAKE THE STUFFING:
TO MAKE THE KADABU: