Full fermented sourdough banana bread step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Full fermented sourdough banana bread is moist, delicious, and rich banana bread made with a sourdough starter. A slice of banana bread slathered with butter is a breakfast you can never get enough of. I have been baking banana bread for years as it is a perfect way of using up overripe bananas.
Since beginning my sourdough journey, I have not baked anything that's not sourdough and fully fermented. So I wanted to make banana bread that is fully fermented. I make sure anything with gluten is fully fermented. So this bread is not just about adding some starter to regular banana bread and baking it.
I make the batter and let it ferment overnight. The result is not just moist and decadent banana bread, but also super-healthy banana bread. This full fermented banana bread is also egg-free. This banana bread is also a great way of using up unfed or discarded sourdough starter.
Overripe banana: Overripe bananas makes the most delicious banana bread. Use bananas that are black from the outside and soft inside.
Sourdough starter: Use unfed/discard sourdough starter to make this bread.
Flour: I use 1:1 plain flour and atta (Indian whole wheat flour or chapati flour).
Sugar: I use raw sugar to make this bread; however, plain sugar also works well.
Yogurt and butter: Use plain yogurt and unsalted butter to make this banana bread.
Chia seeds and walnuts: They add a great texture and crunch to the bread.
Lemon zest: This is optional but I highly recommend adding it as it adds a great flavour and freshness to the bread.
Storing sourdough banana bread
Cool the banana bread completely before storing it. Slice it and keep the slices in an air-tight container at room temperature. Place a kitchen towel on the bottom of the container before placing the bread. They stay fresh at room temperature for up to five days. Storing them in the refrigerator will make the bread dry. Lightly toast it before serving for the best-tasting banana bread.
This bread can also be stored frozen for up to six months. You may either slice them before storing or store the whole loaf. To freeze the sliced banana bread, wrap individual slices in a cling wrap and then place them in a freezer-safe container. Thaw the bread overnight in the refrigerator.
Use overripe bananas. They will make the most flavourful banana bread.
Fold in the starter gently. Do not overmix the batter.
Bring the sourdough starter to room temperature before adding it to the batter. Also, bring the yogurt to room temperature.
This bread tastes best with a mix of plain flour and atta (whole wheat flour).
Lemon zest is optional but I highly recommend not to skip it as it adds freshness to the bread.
I use raw sugar to make this bread. This can be replaced with plain sugar. Even jaggery powder works well with this bread. Adjust the sweetness of the bread as per your preference.
Do not overmix the batter. Add the flour in batches and gently incorporate it.
The fermentation time depends on the ambient temperature. Go by the feel of the dough rather than the time. We want the batter to raise and increase in volume by about a half. For me, it takes around 10-12 hours.
Click here for more sourdough recipes.
This sourdough banana bread is:
- full fermented
- healthy, moist, rich, and delicious
- perfect way to use up overripe bananas
Step by step instructions
1. Combine the plain flour, atta, salt, and chia seeds. Set aside
2. Mash the banana well
3. Add melted butter, sugar, yogurt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest
4. Add the sourdough starter and fold it in until fully incorporated
5. Add walnuts and vanilla extract. Fold them in
6. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until it comes together and all the flour is incorporated
7. Pour into the prepared loaf tin. Cover loosely with a cling wrap
8. Let it sit in a warm spot for 10-12 hours for fermentation
9. Bake in preheated oven
10. Cool completely before slicing
Full fermented Sourdough Banana Bread
- Grease a 9-inch loaf tin with butter. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine plain flour, atta, salt and chia seeds. Set aside
- In another bowl, mash the bananas
- Add melted butter, sugar, yogurt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Mix well
- Add the sourdough starter and fold it in until fully incorporated
- Add walnuts and vanilla extract. Fold them in
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until it comes together and all the flour is incorporated
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin. Cover loosely with a cling wrap
- Let it sit in a warm spot for 10-12 hours for fermentation. The batter should raise and increase in volume by about a half
- Preheat oven at 170 C (340 F)
- Place the loaf in preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then place it on a wire rack to cool it completely
- Slice and serve
Click here to watch sourdough banana bread web story.